Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Be Ye GLAAD

I understand that Wish Me Away was been nominated for a GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Documentary. 

Ahhhhhhh...this makes me feel glaad indeed, with two "A's". OK, three. Glaaad. I'm all in favor of excellent filmmaking and production values and cinematography and so on. What particularly touches me about this film, though, is its propensity to save lives. 

No, I don't think I am exaggerating.

People will watch it--correction, people are watching it, who would not otherwise have exposure to a "Gay Documentary," much less the inclination to carve out time for it. A cursory glance at Chely Wright's Facebook and Twitter pages indicate that the film mitigates the isolation experienced by so many LGBT people. Honest conversations are happening among family members, and resources are being utilized. 

And that, Gentle Reader, is truly something for which to be glaad.

Oh, by the way, SPOILER ALERT: the video below has a bit of a Follower-of-Jesus vibe, along with some nice visuals. If you dig that, enjoy. If not, you might want to skip it. Just sayin'.