Monday, January 28, 2013

France? Seriously?

I didn't see this one coming.
As my 93-year-old Grandmother will tell you, the French are so liberal that the women don't even shave under their arms. Their bathroom stalls are on the street, they drink wine for breakfast and then take two hour lunches. For God's sake, they give cigarettes to children!

And they are the ones afraid of gay marriage? 

Probably doesn't shave under her arms.
Several weeks ago (as you've probably heard by now) hundreds of thousands of people marched on the Eiffel Tower to protest the planned legalization of gay marriage and gay adoption. Not hundreds...not thousands...hundreds of thousands. 

I had no idea that the anti-gay sentiment in France was so bountiful and thriving. I guess it shows how little I know about the political climate over there, or perhaps how much I rely upon stereotypes and second-hand observations.

What I do know, though, is that people around the world are reconsidering their long-held assumptions. Former Damn Liars are stepping forward and telling their story--leaving former second-hand observations to become obsolete.