Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Oh Those Gay Metro Elites

Have you heard this already? Is this old news? It's new to me: in England, some politician named Nadine Dorries is of the opinion that gay marriage isn't necessary because the only people who really want it are the "gay metro elites."

But of course! They're gay. They're metropolitan. They're elitist. And now, oh brother, they even think they need to get married????

(I'm not making this up, by the way. I read about it in this excellent Huffpo offering.)

I've never been to England, but I can guess that the LGBT folks around there are just as home-fried and boring as me and my Dearly Beloved. We fold laundry, we make grilled cheese sandwiches, we work long hours at our jobs (I'm a teacher and she's an accountant), and we watch DVDs on Saturday nights. Once in a while, for a treat, we hit the Chick-Fil-A drive thru, even though it is technically against our religion or something.

"Elite" just isn't the word that comes to mind when I think of our lives in mid-winter Missouri.

This blog is about Chely Wright's influence--her presence is strong here in the Midwest. When Chely came out in 2010, she was as familiar to us as a 5:00 pm January sunset; we knew her already, and we knew she was the real thing. Understanding took a long stride forward that day. Locals began to reconsider just how deviant being gay could possibly be if Chely Wright, that gal from Kansas City, was gay. "For Heaven's sake," the logic went, "maybe these people really don't choose it."

As for all those "gay metro elites" planning their weddings in London, I'm happy for them. I hope they are just as glamorous and exclusive and A List as Nadine Dorries imagines them to be. May their receptions glitter with extravagance. I wish them all the happiness in the world.