Monday, March 25, 2013

It's So Easy To Be Shrill

That's enough now. Thank you.
There's no shortage of shrieking political discourse going around these days, that's for sure. Good Lord. And I'm noticing that this high-pitched arguing thing is fully multi-lateral, non-partisan, non-sectarian, we-can't-really-blame-one-side-or-the-otherian. Everyone seems to be screeching.

Except Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill. 

Have you noticed this? It's refreshing. She's nice and she gives props to the other team. (Here's some info about her, in case you don't already know.) Also, here's a recent quote from her about marriage equality--please note how shrill she isn't:

Good people disagree with me. On the other hand, my children have a hard time understanding why this is even controversial. I think history will agree with my children. Claire McHaskell

See? She acknowledges that lines are drawn among good people--she understands that vilifying the opposition accomplishes very little. 

The tricky part about shrillness is that it's so dang easy. You don't have to think--you can just react and start yelling. I'm grateful to my homegirl for keeping it classy. This makes me want to vote for her all over again.